If you made up your mind and you want to buy a new car, you have certainly made the best choice possible. However, you can be tricked into buying a new car with flaws or at a price higher than the market average, as this does not apply only to used cars.
If you want to purchase the best car for you and your family, here are 10 major steps you need to take:
1. Do your homework. Before going to the showroom from where you want to buy your car, go online for a few minutes and read what previous customers had to say about that dealer or the cars they bought from there. Also, read some dedicated magazines and compare prices, so that you can make the best choice, once you are there.
2. Think about the things that interest you most in a car. Be it safety, performance, fuel burn, design or space, you need to prioritize them. The best way to do this is to set up a list of cars and grade them, depending on those factors. This will help you narrow down your options.
3. Discuss your options with your loved ones. For example, if you want a family car, you need space, so the recommended option is an SUV. But, if your family is not that large, you could buy a sedan and be done with it. If both you and your wife or one of the kids are going to drive the car, it might as well be a model that meets the expectations of all of you.
4. Choose the best three models you want and gather information about them online, from magazines and from friends that drive such cars.
5. Call the local showroom and talk to one of their sales representatives. Ask for more information about the car you want and find out if they have it in stock or not. If you can negotiate the price, try to lower it as much as possible.
6. Stay within budget. If negotiating is not an option, make sure that you do not exceed your budget.
7. If you are offered financing options, make sure you do not sign up for installments you cannot afford. Sales representatives usually try to sell expensive cars or raise the price by including new options and covering for them with a loan or some other financing option. Don’t get fooled into buying options you do not need or taking loans you cannot afford.
8. Test drive the car, in order to make sure it is the one that you want. This way, you will have a chance to see how it runs, if all the features work and if it is worth the price. Never buy a car without test driving it first.
9. Choose the fuel type carefully. Most people go with gasoline powered cars, but these are extremely bad for the environment. If you can afford it, choose a hybrid car or one that runs on fossil fuels. If you are not into speed and space, an electric car would be even better.
10. After you have made all the decisions, ask for the contract and warranty and study them carefully before signing them and making the payment. For any questions you may have, ask the sales representative you are dealing with for more details – it is his job to provide you all the information you need and clear all your doubts.
If you follow these steps, you will leave the dealership driving the car of your dreams.